The Les Arcs Film Festival has unveiled the 18 European film projects selected for its Les Arcs Coproduction, running from December 16 to 19 within the framework of the Alpine event’s 15th edition.
The selection, chosen from 269 submitted projects hailing from 15 different countries, has achieved gender parity in terms of the directors involved, even though only 36% applications of the projects submitted were directed by women.
Ten of projects are first fiction feature projects, five are second features and 3 by more established filmmakers, including Michael Caton-Jones (Our Ladies, Hitman Redemption) and Ena Sendijarević, whose latest film Sweet Dreams is the Netherlands’s Best International Feature Film entry this year.
The Netherlands is Les Arcs Film Festival’s country focus this year and the Coproduction village will welcome three projects from the territory.
There will also be an industry talks program featuring a panel on production issues related to AI, organized by the European Producers Club, and a case study presented by Gábor Reisz on the production and international distribution of Explanation for Everything by Gábor Reisz, winner of the Orizzonti Best Film Award at the Venice Film Festival.
All the projects will compete for the ArteKino International Award, worth €6000.
The 2023 selection
- * denotes first film ** second film
- A FRIEND by Teppo Airaksinen (Finland)
Produced by Tack Films (Finland)
- ALSO A LIFE** by Anders Emblem (Norway)
Produced by STÆR (Norway)
- ANGELS** by Emma Westenberg (The Netherlands)
Produced by HALAL (The Netherlands) and De Wereldvrede (Belgium)
- BASARDA* by Salvador Sunyer (Spain)
Produced by Avalon (Spain)
- BELLS OF KABUL* by Chabname Zariab (France)
Produced by Alta Rocca (France)
- COWGIRL** by Michal Blaško (Slovakia)
Produced by nutprodukcia (Slovakia) and nutprodukce (Czech Republic)
- DON’T LET US DROWN* by Emiel Sandkte (The Netherlands)
Produced by Room For Film (The Netherlands)
- HOLD ME CLOSER** by Irma Pužauskaitė (Lithuania)
- Produced by Smart Casual (Lithuania)
- I MATTER* by Alina Serban (Romania)
Produced by microFILM (Romania)
- I WON’T DIE FOR LOVE* by Marta Matute (Spain)
Produced by SOLITA FILMS (Spain) and Elastica Films (Spain)
- KINGDOM OF THE BLIND* by François Robic (France)
Produced by Moderato (France)
- ONE CAN’T INVENT THE OCEAN* by Ingrid Chikhaoui (France)
Produced by Les Films Norfolk (France)
- SHITBALLS* by Álfrún Örnólfsdóttir (Iceland)
Produced by Compass Films (Iceland)
- SUB* by Peter Modestij (Sweden)
Produced by HOBAB (Sweden) and MOTOR (Denmark)
- THE BIG SHEEP by Michael Caton-Jones (United Kingdom)
Produced by Braintrust (United Kingdom)
- THE ODYSSEY OF THE DEEP** by Jacques Lœuille (France)
Produced by Météores Films (France)
- THE POSSESSED by Ena Sendijarević (The Netherlands)
Produced by Aventura (The Netherlands)
- TO SEE A WOMAN* by Manuela Bastian (Germany)
Produced by Tellfilm GmbH (Switzerland) and KGP Kranzelbinder Gabriele Produktion (Austria)