Sports

Mo Salah breaks his silence after critics questioned his commitment to Egypt and insists he ‘will do everything possible’ to return to AFCON after flying back to Liverpool to treat hamstring injury

  • Mohamed Salah left AFCON to receive treatment on a hamstring injury
  • The Egypt star is expected to be sidelined up to four weeks 
  • No Salah, no problem! Liverpool can thank Jurgen Klopp for an ‘exceptional’ squad rebuild – It’s All Kicking Off 

Mohamed Salah has hit back at the critics who questioned his commitment to Egypt after he returned to England to receive treatment for the hamstring injury he sustained at the Africa Cup of Nations last week.

The Liverpool star was substituted during Egypt‘s 2-2 draw against Ghana at the last Thursday and his presence for the remainder of the tournament is in doubt

Mail Sport understands that Salah could now be sidelined for up to four weeks and has flown back to Merseyside for treatment

His decision to return to England was met with criticism by Egypt‘s legendary former midfielder Ahmed Hassan, who claimed the national captain should stay to support his team-mates.

But Salah insisted the decision to return to England was one Egypt and Liverpool both agreed upon. 

Mohamed Salah has hit back at the critics who questioned his commitment to Egypt

Mohamed Salah has hit back at the critics who questioned his commitment to Egypt

Salah suffered a hamstring injury against Ghana at the AFCON last week

Salah suffered a hamstring injury against Ghana at the AFCON last week 

‘Yesterday I started the treatment and rehabilitation program and I will do everything possible to be ready as soon as possible and return to the national team as was agreed upon from the beginning,’ he wrote on X, the platform previously known as Twitter.

‘I also love it [Egypt] and its people.’

Salah then appeared to criticise his detractors, by suggesting they should ‘try harder’.

Meanwhile, Salah’s agent, Ramy Abbass Issa, launched a blistering attack against those who questioned his client’s commitment to Egypt.

‘The same individuals and “influencers” who get weak in the knees when they happen to bump into Mohamed in person and beg for “follows” or selfies, tried to capitalise on an unfortunate injury and questioned Mohamed’s commitment to his country,’ he posted on X.

‘They did this looking for fame, clicks and “likes”. I want to thank those who did the honourable thing and pointed out how ridiculous and cheap that was. I took names. In both cases. 

‘Most importantly, to the vast majority of you, who support Mohamed, my message to you is not to worry, because your global icon, the one you helped create, is already too big to be brought down by social media. 

‘No hyperventilating or foaming-in-the-mouth “influencer” is going to change that.’ 

Liverpool have since tried to defuse a row over the injury by insisting they will do everything to get Salah fit in time for next month’s AFCON final. 

Speaking ahead of Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup semi-final second leg at Fulham, Jurgen Klopp insisted Liverpool and Egypt had mutually agreed Salah should receive treatment in England.

‘Egypt and Liverpool have exactly the same interests, we want Mo Salah fit as quickly as possible,’ he said.

‘If he stays there and can’t do the proper treatment that will just delay everything, especially for Egypt if they go through the tournament.

‘So, we bring him here not because we want to take him away from Egypt but because we want to offer the best medical treatment, that’s all we want.’

Klopp’s assistant Pep Lijnders has also said that the decision for him to return had been made in conjunction with Egypt’s medical staff.  

But Egyptian media had called Klopp ‘disrespectful’ for being the one to announce the news that Salah would be returning back to Liverpool rather than his national side

The Liverpool boss has since apologised for breaking the news ahead of the Egyptian FA.

‘It’s all agreed and it’s clear, if Egypt go through to the final and Mo is fit, Mo goes back, 100 per cent,’ Klopp said. 

‘Mo wants that, we want that we don’t plan with Mo and think we can do a little bit here or there.’

‘We are completely honest, and if I said something too early… what I said, I didn’t announce it, I said “I think it’s agreed” that’s what I heard. I have so many things to do and so many things going on around me.

Related posts

Luke Littler’s ‘unbelievably proud’ sister sends a heartwarming message to the 16-year-old darts sensation

News Epistle

Dan Evans and Jack Draper both win in straight sets to complete a remarkable day for British tennis at the US Open… with SIX through to the second round

News Epistle

Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia and also Ian Poulter RESIGN subscriptions of the DP World Tour

News Epistle

Leave a Comment